Boston Terrier Names – 215+ Awesome Ideas
by Jessi Larson
Thinking about getting a Boston Terrier? Or are you in the process of welcoming this sweet breed into your home? Our guide to Boston Terrier names will help you pick the perfect name for your new pup!
Today the Boston Terrier is in the top 25 dog breeds in the United States, and it’s not hard to tell why.
For starters, this dog is downright adorable. The big eyes, perky ears and stout frame make for quite a cute canine.
The breed also packs a whole lot of personality into its small frame. Friendly, funny and always up for anything, the Boston Terrier is a good-natured dog with legions of fans.
With our guide to Boston Terrier names, you’ll find a name deserving of this amazing animal!
Small Dog Names Great for the Boston Terrier
The Boston Terrier weighs in at only 10-25 lbs. While not as small as itty bitty breeds like the Chihuahua or Yorkie, it’s still a pretty petite pup.
That makes small dog monikers a perfect choice for Boston Terrier names!
These cute and creative names perfectly reflect their compact build. Check them out and see if any are a fit for your new furbaby.
- Runt or Runty
- Minnie or Mini
- Shrimp or Shrimpy
- Half Pint
Names Inspired By the City of Boston
It’s probably no surprise that the Boston Terrier hails from – you guessed it – the city of Boston.
The breed got its start around 1875 when Robert C. Hopper of Boston purchased a dog that was a cross between a Bulldog and the now-extinct white English Terrier, according to the American Kennel Club (AKC).
The dog was further developed and later got its name in honor of the city where it was bred.
Given the breed’s history, a fun idea is to find names inspired by Boston!
- B-Town – A nickname for the city
- Bean – Boston is sometimes called “Bean Town” or “The Bean”
- Bruin – As in the Boston Bruins, Boston’s professional ice hockey team
- Celtic – As in the Boston Celtics, Boston’s professional basketball team
- Red – As in the Boston Red Sox, Boston’s professional baseball team
- Rhett – Boston University’s mascot is Rhett the Boston Terrier
- Southie – A nickname for people living in South Boston
- Sox – Another nod to the Boston Red Sox
Historic Boston Terrier Names
Not all dog breeds can trace their lineage back to one specific dog. But the Boston Terrier can.
In fact, the breed’s history is remarkably well-documented. You can read more about it at the AKC website.
Here are names inspired by the origin of the Boston Terrier.
- Judge – The name of the very first Boston Terrier in existence
- O’Brien – Judge was originally sold to a man named William O’Brien, who brought the dog to Boston
- Hooper – O’Brien soon sold Judge to fellow Bostonian Robert C. Hooper
- Gyp – Judge was bred with a small white bulldog named Gyp to create the original line of Boston Terriers
- Burnett – Gyp was owned by a man named Edward Burnett
- Eph – The name of Judge and Gyp’s most well-known puppy
- Roundy – The breed soon got the nickname “Round Head”
Funny Boston Terrier Names
Funny dog names are always a hit. As you look for Boston Terrier names, we highly recommend exploring comical options that’ll make people laugh out loud.
Below some of the best funny dog names, especially for a Boston Terrier. The list includes large or tough names that are ironic for a tiny pup, ideas that play on the pup’s stout stature and ones that are simply silly.
Another cool idea for Boston Terrier names is to look at the dog’s coloring. The breed is commonly a combination of white and either black, brindle or seal (a very dark brown).
Black & White Boston Terrier Names
If your Boston Terrier is black and white in coloring, these names make fun and fitting ideas. They draw inspiration from food, popular black and white characters, and more.
- Pepe Le Pew
- Tux – or Tuxedo
Get more black and white dog names.
Black Boston Terrier Names
If you have a Boston Terrier with black markings, you could also focus solely on that color.
These black dog names are perfect for a pup with a dark coat.
Get more black dog names.
Brindle Boston Terrier Names
The second most popular Boston Terrier color is brindle, a brownish or tawny color with streaks of other colors.
This beautiful color combo makes for an interesting-looking coat and lends itself well to unique Boston Terrier names.
Get more brindle dog names.
Dark Brown Boston Terrier Names
The third Boston Terrier color is seal, a very dark brown that looks more like black until the dog stands in bright light.
For these types of pups, the following dark brown names are a great choice.
- Peanut Butter
Get more brown dog names.
Cute Male Dog Names – Perfect for Boston Terriers
Call us biased, but we think the Boston Terrier is one of the cutest dog breeds on the planet.
The round head, giant eyes, perky ears – what could be cuter?
Such a cute dog deserves an extra cute name, like the ideas below for male pups.
Get more cute male dog names.
Cute Female Dog Names – Perfect for Boston Terriers
And for the female Boston Terriers, these cute names are extra adorable.
Trendy, sweet and stylish, the names below are popular for cuddly canines like the Boston Terrier.
Get more cute female dog names.
Elegant Male Dog Names
Did you know the Boston Terrier has the nickname “The American Gentleman”?
The breed got this moniker from its unique tuxedo-looking coat and gentle nature.
And with such a regal appearance and sweet demeanor, the Boston Terrier is most deserving of an elegant name that reflects its nickname. That means elegant dog names are a great choice for this dapper dog.
Get more elegant male dog names.
Elegant Female Dog Names
The Boston Terrier may be nicknamed “The American Gentleman” but we can certainly say “Gentlewoman” in the case of female furbabies.
Without a doubt, elegant female dog names are perfect for this refined little lady!
They’re classy and timeless, just like the Boston Terrier.
Get more elegant female dog names.
More Dog Name Ideas
The dog name ideas don’t stop here. If you’re not inspired by any of the names above, try our online generator and find even more options. You can sort by your favorite styles and themes.
Popular categories include:
You can also use our online generator and enter in the styles of names you like or themes based on things you enjoy, like movies, TV, history, music, food, sports and more.
How Do You Pick the Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your dog? That’s a question all new dog parents ask.
After years of helping new pup parents, we’ve picked up a few tricks along the way when it comes to selecting a name for your dog:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you lock in on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue. After all, you’ll be saying it a whole lot!
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name? If not, then it’s not the right name and you should move on.
- Does it fit your dog? Check to see if the name matches your dog’s personality and appearance. This is important for both you and your pup.
- And finally, trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!
5 Easy Steps to Teach a Dog Their Name
Once you have a name, how do you teach it to your dog?
All pup parents go through this scenario. They’ve picked out a perfect name and can’t wait to start using it for their dog.
The only problem is their dog doesn’t recognize it yet.
If you’re in this situation, don’t fret. Teaching your dog their name is a lot easier than you think.
Here are five easy steps to take to teach your dog their name.
- Get some small treats and put your dog on a leash in a location without any distractions.
- Say your puppy’s name in a clear, happy, excited voice.
- As soon as they look at you, say “yes” and give them a treat.
- Wait until they look away and then repeat the process 3-5 times.
- Play this name game several times a day and soon they’ll know and love responding to their name!
Want to learn more about how to teach a dog their name? We have an awesome guide that makes it easy.