Cute Dog Names – [200+ Adorable Ideas]Last updated: by Kyle Larson
When you get an adorable new puppy, there’s nothing better than looking for cute dog names. Don’t you agree?
After all, a darling dog deserves a sweet name that fits their irresistible appearance and personality.
And what is it about dogs that are so, well, doggone cute?
According to science, it’s a combination of several things. Large, loving eyes, a cute button nose and soft, snuggly fur all contribute to a dog’s innate cuteness. A playful personality also goes a long way. As do canine cuddles.
Is it no surprise then that many new pup parents look for cute dog names?
Dogs are arguably the cutest creatures on the planet. (We might be biased, but a lot people would back us up!) And cute dog names are a perfect way recognize this.
Here are 200+ cute dog names you are sure to love.
Top Cute Girl Dog Names
With over 4.3 million people searching for dog names per year we’ve uncovered their favorite cute dog names. Here are the top 50 for you find the perfect name for your pup!
- Coco (Cocoa)
- Zoe (Zoey)
- Bell (Belle)
- Blue (Blu)
- Maisie (Maisy)
- Chloe (Khloe)
Top Cute Boy Dog Names
Here we have the top 50 cute boy dog names from our visitors’ favorite picks. Hopefully one of these is a perfect fit!
- Blue (Blu)
- Caesar (Ceasar)
- Coco (Cocoa)
- Teddy (Ted)
- Augie (Augie Doggy)
- Marley (Marly)
- Louie (Lou)
Unique Cute Dog Names
These dog names are not only super cute, but they’re not very common. These can be great if you’re looking for a name that not every dog on the block will have!
Cute Small Dog Names
Do you have a small dog breed like a Bichon, Terrier, Spaniel, Maltese, Pug, etc? These names for little pups might be just right for your tiny pal!
- Pee Wee
Cute Big Dog Names
Have a great big breed like a Lab, Shepherd, Dane, or Akita? These names may better fit a larger dog while still being super cute.
Cute Food Dog Names
These food dog names are a mix of funny, cute and unique. They might be your favorite snack, or the perfect name for your favorite pup.
Looking for More Dog Names?
Want even more great dog names? You’re in luck – we have plenty of other ideas to explore.
Check out these other name ideas and see what you think:
or try a Dog Name Search!
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your dog? That’s a question all new dog parents ask.
After years of helping new pup parents, we’ve picked up a few tricks along the way when it comes to selecting a name for your dog:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you lock in on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue. After all, you’ll be saying it a whole lot!
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name? If not, then it’s not the right name and you should move on.
- Does it fit your dog? Check to see if the name matches your dog’s personality and appearance. This is important for both you and your pup.
- And finally, trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!
5 Easy Steps to Teach a Dog Their Name
Once you have a name, how do you teach it to your dog?
All pup parents go through this scenario. They’ve picked out a perfect name and can’t wait to start using it for their dog.
The only problem is their dog doesn’t recognize it yet.
If you’re in this situation, don’t fret. Teaching your dog their name is a lot easier than you think.
Here are five easy steps to take to teach your dog their name.
- Get some small treats and put your dog on a leash in a location without any distractions.
- Say your puppy’s name in a clear, happy, excited voice.
- As soon as they look at you, say “yes” and give them a treat.
- Wait until they look away and then repeat the process 3-5 times.
- Play this name game several times a day and soon they’ll know and love responding to their name!
Want to learn more about how to teach a dog their name? We have an awesome guide that makes it easy.
Got Dog Name Ideas?
If you have ideas for cute dog names, let us know in the comments below. We love hearing from readers.
It could be the name of a beloved dog in your life, whether they’re your pup or one that belongs to someone you know. Or it could be the name of a fictional dog from a book, TV show or movie. Or perhaps you’ve just thought of a random name now!
We love hearing from our readers and use your ideas to keep our site fresh.