100+ Brown Dog Names You’ll Love
by Jessi Larson
Looking for brown dog names? You’re in the right spot. We’ve rounded up 100+ perfect ideas for your new pup.
Brown is a popular color for dogs with many breeds reporting coats that range from deep espresso brown to a light tan.
After searching high and low, we’ve created a list full of ideas that draw inspiration from food, different words for brown, other animals of the same color and more.
We’re certain you’ll find a name you adore. And if not, you can always use our online generator to find even more options.
Cool Brown Dog Names
To kick off our list, here are 20+ brown dog names that work for dogs of any shade of brown. Ranging from popular to quite unique, these names are fitting for furry friends with a lovely brown coat:
- Brown Bear
- Charlie Brown
- Kobicha (one of the Japanese traditional colors used in kimonos)
- Teddy Bear
- Marron (brown in French)
- Braun (brown in German)
- Brun (brown in Swedish)
Brown Dog Names Inspired By Food
As we compiled a list of brown dog names, we noticed a surprising theme: many names are inspired by food and drinks. That led us to give these names their very own category.
Cute, cool and perfect for brown-colored dogs, these names might just be right for your pup:
- Peanut Butter
- Chip (like a chocolate chip)
- Brown Sugar
- Cinnamon (for reddish-brown dogs)
- Caramel (for brown dogs with a golden hue)
Light Brown/Tan Dogs Names
Many dogs are a light brown or tan that is still technically considered brown. For these dogs, here are ideas that pay homage to their fairer brown coloring:
Golden & Reddish Brown Names
Many brown dogs have a golden or reddish hue to their coat. For these pups, check out these names representative of their lovely locks:
More Dog Name Ideas
If you’ve read through this list of brown dog names but aren’t finding anything that’s right for your new pup, don’t worry. Just because you have a brown dog doesn’t mean you have to give them a name recognizing their color.
Our online dog name generator has helped millions of new pet parents find the right name for their pup. You can sort by your favorite styles and themes. Give it a try!
Popular categories include:
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
With so many options, how do you know which name is right for your dog? You’re going to be saying it for years to come, so you want to make sure you like it.
For nearly five years we’ve helped new dog owners find the perfect name. Here are a few tricks we’ve picked up:
- Make sure it rolls off the tongue. A name may look good on paper, but if it’s hard to pronounce, that’s not good for you or your dog.
- Say it out loud. Say it in both a normal tone and as if you were calling your dog. Can you imagine standing at your front door calling this name? If the answer is no, skip it.
- Does it fit your dog’s appearance and personality? You might have the perfect name picked out but it doesn’t fit them, that’s a miss. Make sure it’s the right name for your individual dog.
- Trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!
Teach Your Dog Their Name, Fast!
Once you’ve picked out the perfect pup name, it’s time to teach it to your dog.
This can seem like an intimidating task, but with practice and persistence, your dog will pick up their name in no time. Here are some tips to speed up the process:
- To start, make sure you’re in a quiet place without distractions. This will help your dog focus.
- From there, repeat your dog’s name. When he or she looks at you, say “Yes!” and hand out a treat. Do this 3-5 times in a round.
- Continue to say your dog’s name in day-to-day interactions. Even if it seems obnoxious.
Before you know it, your dog will know its name like a pro!