Black Dog Names – 505+ Fantastic Ideas for Your Furry FriendLast updated: by Jessi Larson
If you’re getting a black-colored dog, you’ve come to the right place. We have 505+ awesome black dog names perfect for a dark dog.
Black dogs are beautiful creatures, with their shiny, lustrous coats and soulful eyes that are even more pronounced against their dark fur.
Inspiration for black dog names can come from many different places. Ideas range from dark-colored foods to “black” in other languages to animals of the same color and much more.
With so many different options on our guide to black dog names, you’re guaranteed to find just the right name for your black pup!
The Ultimate List of Black Dog Names
Let the list of black dog names begin! As we said before, inspiration is everywhere, and we’ve drawn ideas from some surprising places.
Check out these fabulous ideas and see if any sound interesting.
Black Dog Names Inspired By Nature and Elements
If you pause and look around, the Earth is actually full of inspiration for black dog names.
The following names are based on nature and other elements and make strong and sophisticated black dog names.
- Pearl – Because pearls can also be black
Food Black Dog Names
Another cool place for ideas for black dog names: Food and drinks.
Believe it or not, there are many edible items that are black in color, and these make for fun and playful dog names.
Check out these food-inspired ideas – one just might be right for your furbaby.
- Bailey – Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Bock – Dark German malty beer
- Bosco – Chocolate syrup
- Brandy – Dark liquor
- Caviar – Delicacy consisting of salt-cured roe
- Espresso – Italian coffee
- Godiva – Chocolate brand
- Guinness – Famous dark beer
- Hershey – Chocolate brand
- Jameson – Whiskey
- Java – Coffee
- Kahlua – Coffee liqueur
- Kona – Coffee bean variety from Hawaii
- Latte – Coffee and milk drink
- Licorice – The sweet candy can also be black
- Mocha – Chocolate espresso
- Nori – dark seaweed
- Porter – Delicious dark beer
- Stout – A variety of dark beer
Dogs aren’t the only creatures that can be black in color. There are many other animals that sport a dark-colored coat.
We love the idea of naming your dog after another black member of the animal kingdom and think you will, too.
Black in Other Languages
If you’re looking for a name that’s a little more sophisticated and subtle, we have an idea: Translate black and similar words to another language.
This creates cool, cultured names that pay tribute to your dog’s dark coloring.
- Beltza – black in Basque
- Buio – dark in Italian
- Dunkel – dark in German
- Eleʻele – black in Hawaiian
- Fekete – black in Hungarian
- Kuro – black in Japanese
- Madow – black in Somali
- Musta – black in Finnish
- Nero – black in Italian
- Noir – black in French
- Pango – black in Maori
- Preto – black in Portuguese
- Schwarz – black in German
- Svart – black in Norwedian
- Svartur – black in Icelandic
- Tumma – dark in Finnish
- Zwart – black in Dutch
They say space is the final frontier, and it’s also a place for black dog names.
The vast expanse has many dark elements that also serve as cool dog names. Here are just a few ideas.
- Super Nova
Characters Who Wear Black
The black dog names just keep coming! There are many famous characters in film and television that wear all black, and it could be a cool idea to mine these for inspiration.
As you may recall, these well-known characters and personalities sport an all-black wardrobe similar in color to your canine, which is why they also make great black dog names.
See if any are the right pick for your pup!
- Addams – The Addams Family
- Batman – D.C. superhero
- Beetlejuice – devious poltergeist
- Blackbeard – pirate
- Beauty – Black Beauty
- Black Widow – Marvel superhero
- Blade – vampire hunter
- Binx – black cat in Hocus Pocus
- Bond – James Bond
- Cash – Johnny Cash
- Cruella – 101 Dalmatians
- Darth Vader – Star Wars
- Edgar – author Edgar Allen Poe
- Elvira – mistress of the dark
- Fester – Uncle Fester from The Addams Family
- Gomez – Addams Family
- Herman – Herman Munster from The Munsters
- Ichabod – Ichabod Crane from Legend of Sleepy Hollow
- Igor – Young Frankenstein
- Jafar – Aladdin
- John Wick – action hero
- Jules – Pulp Fiction
- Knight – Black Knight
- Kylo – Star Wars
- Lurch – The Addams Family character
- Maleficent – Sleeping Beauty
- Manson – singer Marilyn Manson
- Morpheus – The Matrix
- Morticia – matriarch of The Addams Family
- Neo – The Matrix
- Poe – author Edgar Allen Poe
- Pugsley – The Addams Family
- Selene – Underworld
- Severus Snape – Harry Potter
- Storm – X-Men
- T’Challa – Black Panther
- Tony Montana – Scarface
- Toto – Wizard of Oz
- Trinity – The Matrix
- Vader – Star Wars
- Vincent Vega – Pulp Fiction
- Voldemort – Harry Potter
- Wednesday – The Addams Family
- Xena – warrior princess
- Zorro – masked vigilante
More Great Black Dog Names
The black dog names keep coming! Here are even more awesome ideas for your dark-colored dog.
Some are humorous and entertaining. In fact, one of these may tickle your funny bone and stand out as the right name for your canine companion.
Others are more on the serious side and can serve as a sophisticated moniker.
Check them out and see what you think.
- Black Dahlia
- Black Jack
Spooky, Magic & More
We can’t create a guide to the best black dog names without including ideas based on magic and mystery.
After all, a black coat gives a canine a hint of mystique.
These names are positively – or should we say paw-sitively? – spooky and fun.
Tough Black Dog Names
Black is a strong, robust color, so another option is to look at tough dog names. This is especially fitting if your dog is large or has a muscular build.
The following names exemplify strength and toughness. If your dog also exhibits these characteristics, you might just find the name you’ve been looking for.
Strong Male Dog Names
Strong Female Dog Names
Black and White Dog Names
Your dog may not be completely black in coloring. In fact, many black dogs include spots of other colors, most frequently white.
The amount of white can range from a few small specks to a large swath depending on the dog.
If your dog has a dual-colored coat, these black and white dog names are an excellent option.
- Ying Yang
- Charlie Chaplin
- Peppermint Patty
- Pepe Le Pew
Patterned Dog Names
As noted before, not all black dogs are completely black in color. Some coats include other colors that are arranged in interesting patterns.
For these dogs, a cool name inspired by fur pattern could be a fit for your furball.
- Pollock – artist Jackson Pollock
- Dos – two in Spanish for dogs with dual-colored coats
- Tortie – tortoiseshell pattern
- Tres – three in Spanish
- Tre – three in Italian for the number of colors in a tri-color coat
- Jackson – artist Jackson Pollock
50 Most Popular Dog Names
The names listed above are tailored to a black dog’s coloring. You may, however, find you actually want to look at more dog names that could fit any four-legged friend.
Another place for inspiration: The most popular names for female and male dogs. These represent the top names as determined by our millions of readers.
One of these great names could be just what you’re looking for when it comes to your precious pooch.
Top Male Dog Names
Top Female Dog Names
- Abby (Abigail)
- Coco (Cocoa)
- Rose (Rosie)
Final Thoughts: Black Dog Names
Hopefully this list of black dog names provides you with the perfect moniker for your pup.
At the very least, you’ll have solid inspiration to start your dog name search.
And don’t forget, if you have ideas for black dog names, we’d love to hear them. Comment below with any thoughts or feedback you may have.
More Dog Name Ideas
If you’d like to explore more ideas, you can find additional options using our name generator.
Just enter your favorite styles and themes and it will generate ideas tailored just for you and your dog.
Give it a try and see what you think. Your perfect name is waiting.
How Do You Pick the Right Name?
After you’ve rounded up dozens of names you like, how do you narrow it down to just one?
Here are a few tips to help you make a final decision.
- Once you have a list of ideas, remove any options you don’t absolutely love. Don’t hesitate. Just remove it.
- Check to see if it’s easy to pronounce. The name might look good on paper but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to say, day in and day out.
- Along those lines, figure out if you feel comfortable calling for your dog with this name. At times you’ll have to shout your dog’s name.
- Determine if it’s right for your dog. Does it match their physical appearance? How about their personality and demeanor?
- Make sure everyone in your household agrees on the name. If you have others in your home, get their buy-in.
These fool-proof steps will help you narrow down the list in no time.
Black Dog Adoption
Last but certainly not least, we want to commend you for picking a black dog. For some odd reason, many shelters report that they have a harder time finding homes for black dogs, possibly because their features are tougher to see in photographs. (Read more about this issue.)
So not only do you have a wonderful, beautiful dog, you’re also supporting an important cause in the pet world.
Hopefully you found the right dog name, and we wish you many years of happiness with your new four-legged friend.