Basset Hound Names – 240 Awesome IdeasLast updated: by Jessi Larson
So you’ve got an adorable new Basset Hound in your life? Congrats! Now comes the most exciting part – finding Basset Hound names.
Picking out a name can be overwhelming since there are so many options. To help in your search, we’ve gathered 240 ideas inspired by appearance, personality and more.
Basset Hounds are known for their great noses, independent personality, low-riding body and melancholy looks. All of this provides excellent inspiration for Basset Hound names.
In the end, your pup’s personality may very well shape what you end up calling them. It may take a few weeks for your pup to reveal their personality and for the perfect name to strike, so have patience.
To get you started in your search, check out these awesome ideas for Basset Hound names and see if any fit your fancy.
Basset Hound Names Inspired by Appearance
The Basset Hound is one of the most identifiable dog breeds in the world. They stand out for their short legs, droopy skin, extra long ears and melancholy eyes.
As you search for Basset Hound names, you can draw inspiration from their unique appearance. These names are perfect for this type of pup.
- Roly Poly
- Lo – short for Low Rider
Basset Hound Names Inspired by Color
The Basset Hound can come in a number of colors, including tri-color (brown, black and white), black and brown, red and white, white and chocolate, black and white, and lemon and white.
Coat color can certainly be another way to find Basset Hound names. Here are ideas centered around the most popular breed colors.
Tri-Color Dog Names
- Tre – three in Italian for the number of colors in a tri-color coat
- Tres – three in Spanish
Brown/Tan Dog Names
- Braun – brown in German
- Brun – brown in Swedish
- Charlie Brown
- Chip – like chocolate chip
- Marron – brown in French
- Peanut Butter
Explore more brown dog names.
Black Dog Names
Explore more black dog names.
Red Dog Names
Explore more red dog names.
Black and White Dog Names
Explore more black and white dog names.
Melancholy Basset Hound Names
This breed certainly stands out for its mournful, drooping eyes. Even though they’re happy, charming dogs, the Basset Hound often looks super sad given their sagging skin.
Their melancholy looks can be channeled into a name that plays on this appearance.
- Gloomy Gus
Names Inspired by Their Nose
The curious Basset Hound has an incredible sense of smell. In fact, their sense of smell is second only to the Bloodhound.
The breed loves to sniff around and explore, so you could pick a name that pays tribute to their nosy nature.
Famous Basset Hound Names
Another idea for Basset Hound names is to look at the famous pups from the past. It seems like the 1950s and 1960s were the heyday for featuring Basset Hounds in entertainment and advertising.
You may recognize some of these dogs, or perhaps they’re totally new to you.
- Droopy the Dog – Perhaps the most famous Basset Hound is Droopy the Dog from the classic animated TV show.
- Fred Basset – As in the classic comic strip.
- Axelrod – The Basset Hound mascot featured in a major advertising campaign for Flying A Service Station in the 1960s.
- Cleo – The name of the dog in The People’s Choice, a TV series in the 1950s.
- Flash – In The Dukes of Hazzard, Flash the Basset Hound is a loyal companion.
- J. J. Morgan – A celebrity Basset Hound from the 1950s.
- Quincy – Quincy the Basset Hound was a staple on the TV show Coach.
- Sherlock – A famous dog associated with Elvis Presley.
- Henry – The loyal companion of Columbo.
- Pokey – You can’t have a list of famous Basset Hound names without mentioning Pokey, the friend of Lassie.
Male Basset Hound Names
Continuing our guide to Basset Hound names, let’s take a look at some cute and classic ideas that are popular among all dog owners.
These options make great names for boy Basset Hounds.
Female Basset Hound Names
If you’re bringing home a female Basset Hound, here are some well-liked names that our readers have found to be favorites.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, though. You can try our online name generator to find even more options.
Funny Basset Hound Names
Last but not least, let’s explore some funny Basset Hound names that are sure to bring a smile to your face.
Funny dog names are always are entertaining options and perfect for those with a great sense of humor.
- Sir Stubby
- Winston Fur Chill
- Detective Ears
- Snoop Dog
- Charles Barkley
- Groucho Barks
- Sherlock Bones
- Fur-mione Granger
- Mary Puppins
- Inspector Drool
- Sir Wags-a-lot
- Joan of Bark
- Bark Twain
- Indiana Bones
If you’re lucky enough to bring a Basset Hound into your home, you’ll find the breed to be charming, patient and incredibly low-key.
Without a doubt, the Basset Hound is instantly recognizable given their unique, low-slung appearance. From their short legs and extra long ears to their drooping skin and mournful eyes, this dog is unlike any other. You can certainly use this as inspiration for their name.
Inspiration is everywhere. Start a list with your favorite ideas and keep adding to it whenever you hear a name that you like.
Once you’re done, start removing names that you don’t completely love. This will help whittle it down.
And finally, make sure the name is right for your new dog. (More on that below.) You’ll know in your gut when you’ve found the right one!
More Dog Name Ideas
If you’re not inspired by any of these dog names, try our online generator and discover even more options. You can sort by your favorite styles and themes to discover the perfect name for your pup.
Our site helps over 15 million new dog owners each year and offers thousands of unique ideas. With this in mind, we’re confident you’ll find the name for your dog on our site.
Popular categories include:
Try it out and see what you think!
How Do You Pick the Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your dog? That’s a question all new dog parents ask.
After years of helping new pup parents, here are some tips we’ve picked up when it comes to selecting a name for your dog:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you lock in on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue.
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name? If not, then it’s not the right name and you should move on.
- Does it fit your dog? Check to see if the name matches your dog’s personality and appearance. This is important for both you and your pup.
- And finally, trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!
5 Easy Steps to Teach a Dog Their Name
Once you have a name, how do you teach it to your dog?
All pup parents go through this scenario. They’ve picked out a perfect name and can’t wait to start using it for their dog.
The only problem is their dog doesn’t recognize it yet.
If you’re in this situation, don’t fret. Teaching your dog their name is a lot easier than you think.
Here are five easy steps to take to teach your dog their name.
- Get some small treats and put your dog on a leash in a location without any distractions.
- Say your puppy’s name in a clear, happy, excited voice.
- As soon as they look at you, say “yes” and give them a treat.
- Wait until they look away and then repeat the process 3-5 times.
- Play this name game several times a day and soon they’ll know and love responding to their name!
Want to learn more about how to teach a dog their name? We have an awesome guide that makes it easy.