Grey Dog Names – 175+ Fantastic IdeasLast updated: by Jessi Larson
If you’re looking for grey dog names, you’re in the right place! We have over 175 fabulous names we’d love to share with you.
Sleek and striking, grey dogs are gorgeous creatures that stand out from the pack. If you’re lucky enough to welcome one of these sweet pups into your home, a fun idea is to give them a unique name that perfectly matches their distinct fur color.
Our collection of grey dog names include ideas that are traditional, funny, tough and so much more.
Grey Dog Names Inspired by Color
First things first: Why not give your dog a name based on its grey color? It’s a no brainer!
You might think this is boring since there’s only one word for grey, right? Think again!
There are many different words to describe the color grey and its different shades, and this makes for fabulous dog names.
Check out these grey dog names and see if one is right for your new pup.
- Earl Grey
Grey Dog Names Inspired by Fur Pattern
Some dogs aren’t just solid grey. Their fur can have stripes, patches and other distinctive patterns that set them apart.
The pattern and style of your grey dog’s fur can provide great inspiration for a name that’s perfectly personalized for your new pup.
- Salt ‘n Pepper
Grey Dog Names Inspired by Nature
Nature is full of amazing grey colors. Look outside and you’ll see the stones in a park, the sky during a storm, the smoke from a fire and so much more.
Nature supplies us with plenty of surprising names that are original and beautiful. Here are some examples that make excellent grey dog names.
Grey Dog Names Inspired by Other Animals
Dogs aren’t the only animals that can be grey. In fact, many others are grey in color.
How fun would it be to name your dog after one of these fellow grey creatures?
With these names, you’ll recognize your dog’s fur color and provide a good laugh for others.
- Mouse – (Mousey)
- Shark – (Sharky)
- Wolf – (Wolfie)
- Whale – (Whaley)
Famous Grey Dogs
Popular entertainment is another great place to look for inspiration for grey dog names.
Several noteworthy grey dogs have graced TV and movie screens and the pages of our favorite books. Here are some familiar names you might recognize.
- Astro (from The Jetsons)
- Balto (from Balto)
- Buckles (from the Buckles comic strip)
- Cleo (from Clifford the Big Red Dog)
- Digby (from Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World)
- Fang (from Harry Potter)
- Fifi (from The Rugrats)
- Freeway (from Hart to Hart)
- Jock (from Lady and the Tramp)
- Max (from The Little Mermaid)
- Mooch (from Lady and the Tramp)
- Scamp (from Lady and the Tramp 2)
- Spike (from Looney Toons)
- Tramp (from Lady and the Tramp)
Other Popular Grey Characters
Many other charismatic grey creatures have captured our hearts throughout the years in popular cartoons. They may not be dogs, but they’re grey and incredibly adorable!
Below are some of the most popular grey cartoon characters in history. If we’re missing any, please let us know in the comments below.
- Baloo (from The Jungle Book)
- Bugs (as in Bugs Bunny)
- Donkey (from Shrek)
- Dumbo (from Dumbo, of course)
- Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh)
- Komala (from Pokemon)
- Meeko (from Pocahontas)
- Rocky (from The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends)
- Thumper (from Bambi)
Funny Grey Dog Names
Humorous dog names are always a fun option. And it’s even better when the name is tailored specifically for your dog’s personality or appearance.
That’s why we love the idea of funny grey dog names. They’re silly, creative and perfect for your grey pup.
- Alexander the Gray
- Anastasia Gray
- Dorian Gray
- Earl Grey
- Fenrir Grayback
- Gandalf the Gray
- Grey Worm
- Grey Gatsby
- Grey Poupon
- Iron Man
- Jennifer Grey
- Lady Grey
- Meredith Grey
Strong Grey Dog Names
Strong dog names are a popular choice among many pup parents. Especially for dogs that are larger and stronger than most.
If you’ve got a dog that’s a little more tough and tenacious than the average canine, strong grey names might just be up your alley.
Bold and brawny, these names relate to the color grey while projecting an image of strength.
Get more tough dog name ideas.
Grey and Silver in Other Languages
Another great way to find a totally unique dog name is to explore translations in other languages.
And as it turns out, the words grey and silver in other languages make for some pretty cool dog names.
To get started, it helps to figure out if your dog is more grey or silver. Once you determine this, you can pick the language you like the most and select that translation.
Or you could just pick the name that most sticks out and is the right fit for your furbaby!
- Abu-abu (grey in Indonesian)
- Argent (silver in French)
- Argento (silver in Italian)
- Arian (silver in Welsh)
- Boz (grey in Azerbaijani)
- Cawl (grey in Somali)
- Ceniza (ash in Spanish)
- Fidda (silver in Maltese)
- Grau (grey in German)
- Grigio (grey in in Italian)
- Gris (grey in French and Spanish)
- Hiriwa (silver in Maori)
- Hopea (silver in Finnish)
- Kelabu (grey in Malay)
- Liath (grey in Irish)
- Plata (silver in Spanish)
- Prata (silver in Portuguese)
- Siva (silver in Slovenian and Croatian)
- Szary (grey in Polish)
- Zilarra (silver in Basque)
Grey Dog Names: Conclusion
Hopefully our list of 175+ grey dog names has provided you with plenty of inspiration. With options that range the gamut from funny to tough to translations and so much more, we’re confident you’ll find at least one or two favorites.
And if you have other grey dog name ideas, we’d love to hear them! Post a comment below with your idea.
More Dog Name Ideas
If you’re not inspired by any of these dog names, try our online generator and discover even more options. You can sort by your favorite styles and themes to discover the perfect name for your pup.
Our site helps over 15 million new dog owners each year and offers thousands of unique ideas. With this in mind, we’re confident you’ll find the name for your dog on our site.
Popular categories include:
Try it out and see what you think!
How Do You Pick the Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your dog? That’s a question all new dog parents ask.
After years of helping new pup parents, here are some tips we’ve picked up when it comes to selecting a name for your dog:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you lock in on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue.
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name? If not, then it’s not the right name and you should move on.
- Does it fit your dog? Check to see if the name matches your dog’s personality and appearance. This is important for both you and your pup.
- And finally, trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!