Blue Eyed Dog Names – 100+ Striking Ideas
by Jessi Larson
Finding a unique dog name is always a challenge. But if your dog has striking blue eyes, that’s a cool characteristic to use for inspiration – which is why you’ve searched for blue eyed dog names!
We’ve rounded up the best blue eyed dog names out there. Ideas include shades of blue, gemstones, flowers, nature, famous characters and actors, and so much more.
Our list of blue eyed dog names has over 100 ideas so you’re sure to find at least one or two you love. Let’s get started!
Shades of Blue
Here’s a simple and stylish name for your blue eyed dog: Blue!
Not only is the name a great way to highlight their most unique feature, it’s also a popular dog name. Just think of Blue from Blue’s Clues.
And that’s just the start of blue eyed dog names inspired by the color. There are many different shades of blue, all of which provide excellent inspiration.
- Aqua – a green-ish blue color and Latin for water
- Azure – this bright, cyan-blue color can be described as the color of the sky on a clear day
- Baby Blue – a light pastel blue
- Capri – a deep shade of sky blue
- Celeste – another name for sky blue
- Cerulean – a deep shade of blue ranging between azure and a darker sky blue
- Cyan – a green-ish blue color
- Denim – this medium-toned blue is also the name of the world’s most popular fabric
- Indigo – a deep and rich color that is right next to blue on the color wheel
- Majorelle – a clear, intense blue that makes a gorgeous dog name
- Maya – a bright azure blue pigment manufactured by cultures such as the Mayans and Aztecs
- Midnight – a dark shade of blue named for its resemblance to the blue color of a night sky
- Navy – a very dark shade of the color blue
- Oxford – a dark blue that’s the official color of the University of Oxford (and a very regal dog name!)
- Pacific – a mid-warm blue and the name of the world’s largest ocean
- Periwinkle – a soft color in the blue and purple family, the name Periwinkle can be shortened to Peri or Winkle as well
- Robin – short for Robin’s Egg blue, this shade of cyan looks like the color of an egg laid by a robin
- Slate – a dark blue-ish gray color and one of the coolest blue eyed dog names you’ll find
- Sky – a color that resembles the unclouded sky reflecting off a metallic surface
- Powder – a pale shade of blue
- Teal – a deep blue-green color
- Tiffany – the name for the light medium Robin’s Egg blue color associated with Tiffany & Co, the famous jewelry company
- Turquoise – a blue-green color based on the gem of the same name
- Zaffre – a deep blue pigment and a cool dog name we might add!
Nature-Inspired Blue Eyed Dog Names
Mother Nature is another great place to find blue eyed dog names that are unique, elegant and reflective of the color.
Nature offers incredible inspiration, from the sky and bodies of water to flowers and animals and so much more.
Here are awesome nature-inspired blue eyed dog names to get you thinking.
- Atasi – a beautiful blue flower
- Aster – star-like flowers with a deep blue/purple coloring
- Bellflower – a plant with bell-shaped flowers that are often blue
- Bluebell – a blue bulbous perennial plant AND an adorable dog name
- Blueberry – as in the delicious blue fruit
- Blue Jay – the well-known blue bird
- Earth – the Earth is a bright blue from space
- Frosty – for those with piercing blue eyes
- Gentian – an herb that’s bright blue in color
- Hyacinth – bulbous, fragrant flowering plants
- Ice – ice can have a blue-ish hue
- Iris – a blue perennial plant with long, flowering stems
- Lake – this body of water is often shades of blue (depending on how clear the water is!)
- Macaw – the bright bird with a rich blue coloring
- Moon – the moon often looks blue at just the right time
- Neptune – this planet is a deep blue in color
- Ocean – one of the most notable blue aspects of nature
- Peacock – this stunning bird is a unique shade of blue
- Sea – another part of nature that’s distinctly blue
- Sky – without a doubt most notable blue part of nature
- Sweet Pea – this flowering plant can be blue in color and is a 100% adorable dog name
- Veronica – a perennial with long spikes of small petals that are often blue
Gemstones are a part of nature, so technically we could have included them in the list above. But since there are so many gorgeous blue gemstones, we figured they deserved a section all of their own!
If you’re looking for a distinct dog name that pays tribute to your pup’s sparkling eyes, these names are a great choice. They’re incredibly unique, and it’s almost a guarantee no other dogs you know will have the same name.
- Agate – a rock that can often be blue
- Aquamarine – a blue mineral found in granite rocks
- Cobalt – a hard lustrous bluish gray metal
- Kyanite – a blue mineral commonly found in sedimentary rock
- Lapis – deep-blue metamorphic rock
- Larimar – a rare blue mineral found only in the Dominican Republic
- Sapphire – a blue precious gemstone
- Stone – short for gemstone
- Tanzanite – a blue and violet mineral
- Topaz – a silicate mineral that’s often blue
- Zircon – a mineral that’s common in the crust of earth
Famous Blue Characters
You’ll find lots of famous blue characters in movies, TV shows, books, video games and more. Without a doubt, these provide excellent inspiration for blue eyed dog names!
Take a look at the list below and see if any of the names fit your fancy.
- Abe Sapien – a blue fictional character in Hellboy
- Avatar – as in the 2009 film
- Bubbles – the name of the blue-eyed Powerpuff girl
- Buster – as in Buster Bunny
- Cookie Monster – the famous blue monster
- Doctor Manhattan – a central character in Watchmen
- Dory – the adorable blue fish in the classic movie Finding Nemo
- Genie – the blue genie is a beloved character in Aladdin
- Gonzo – a blue muppet known for his eccentric behavior
- Grover – the sweet and lovable blue character on Sesame Street and an awesome option for blue eyed dog names
- Horton – the iconic blue elephant in Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who!
- Huckleberry – as in Huckleberry Hound, the adorable animated blue dog
- Marge – inspired by Marge Simpson, famous for her blue hair
- Mystique – this X-Men character is well known for her blue coloring
- Neytiri – the name of the lead heroine in Avatar
- Smurf – we can’t forget about these original blue cartoon characters
- Sonic – Sonic the Hedgehog is known for his bright blue fur (and crazy video game moves)
- Squirtle – Pokemon fans will remember this cute creature
- Stitch – a cute blue character in Disney’s Lilo & Stitch
- Sulley – (or James P. Sullivan) the main character of Monsters, Inc.
- Tobias Funke – if you watched Arrested Development, you’ll remember Tobias trying to become part of the Blue Man Group
- Zazu – the uptight blue bird in Disney’s The Lion King
Celebrities Known for Blue Eyes
Many famous celebrities throughout history have been known for their striking blue eyes. A few of the most famous include:
- Elvis Presley
- Frank Sinatra
- Jared Leto
- Marilyn Monroe
- Paul Hollywood
- Paul Newman
That’s just the tip of the iceberg, however. You could also peruse this list of blue eyed celebrities to find your favorite famous person and potentially a name that’s right for your new dog.
Blue in Other Languages
Here’s another great idea for blue eyed dog names: translate “blue” into another language!
This makes for a cool name that pays tribute to their gorgeous eye color and is incredibly unique.
Here are translations that create beautiful dog names, or you can pick your favorite language and see how the word translates.
- Azul – Spanish and Portugese
- Blau – German
- Bleu – French
- Mavi – Turkish
- Mizu – Japanese (for sky blue)
- Modry – Czech
- Nilo – Nepali
- Plavo – Bosnian
- Sunila – Indian
Other Blue Eyed Dog Names
The following words quite literally mean “having blue eyes” in other languages, which couldn’t be more perfect as you search for blue eyed dog names.
- Hinto – a Native American name that means “deep blue eyes”
- Hitomi – the Japanese word for “blue eyes”
- Nilakshi – translated to “the one who has blue kind of eyes” in Hindu
Or as another idea, you could look up baby names with meanings tied to the color blue. If you’re interested in this idea, visit the sites below for more ideas.
Conclusion: Blue Eyed Dog Names
Our guide to blue eyed dog names provided over 100 fabulous ideas for your furbaby. We hope you found at least a few ideas that might be a good fit!
If you have thoughts on other blue eyed dog names, let us know below! We love hearing from our readers and use your ideas to add to our site.
And if you have a favorite name, chime in and tell us what it is.
More Dog Name Ideas
If you’re not inspired by any of these dog names, try our online generator and discover even more options. You can sort by your favorite styles and themes to discover the perfect name for your pup.
Our site helps over 15 million new dog owners each year and offers thousands of unique ideas. With this in mind, we’re confident you’ll find the name for your dog on our site.
Popular categories include:
Try it out and see what you think!
How Do You Pick the Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your dog? That’s a question all new dog parents ask.
After years of helping new pup parents, here are some tips we’ve picked up when it comes to selecting a name for your dog:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you lock in on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue.
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name? If not, then it’s not the right name and you should move on.
- Does it fit your dog? Check to see if the name matches your dog’s personality and appearance. This is important for both you and your pup.
- And finally, trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!