Top Border Collie Names – 25 Wonderful Names For Your Pup
by Jessi Larson
When it comes to Border Collie names, we had no problem herding up lots of options. (It’s OK, you can groan at that one.)
A unique, beautiful dog with a high-energy, playful personality deserves a name that’s equally as impressive, and we think these Border Collie names are great inspiration.
Border Collie Names
- Ranger – The word ranger has several definitions, including “a keeper of the park” and “a person who ranges or roves,” which are perfect descriptions for the Border Collie.
- Ace – Border Collies are very skilled and adept at their job as a herding dog, making Ace a great name for such a talented dog.
- Rascal – This strong, stubborn dog can sometimes be a rascal, so this name is fitting.
- Colt – This dog can run incredibly fast, just like a colt.
- Dash – Another name for a dog who likes to run.
- Lucky – Border Collies are considered a classic dog. Lucky is a classic dog name. It’s a perfect pair.
- Pepper – This breed is most often black and white, and this name fits the color.
- Sheppie – A cute name for a dog who likes to act as a shepherd.
- Spot – A classic moniker that recognizes the breed’s mixed colorings.
- Sky – Border Collies love to be outside and hail from Scotland, so how lovely is this name?
- Lassie – The television star of this name was a Rough Collie, a close companion of the Border Collie.
- Raven – A soulful, beautiful name especially for black-and white-colored Collies.
- Sunny – How cute is this name for a dog who loves to be outside in the sun and is full of energy? When it comes to Border Collie names, this is a fun choice.
- Scout – A Scout is someone who observes and watches the scene, which is exactly what the Border Collie does with a flock!
- Lady – We love this classic name for a female Border Collie.
- Chief – The Border Collie loves to take charge so this is a natural name for the breed.
- Flash – Like Dash and Colt, this name recognizes the breed’s enormous speed and agility.
- York – This breed hails from the hilly border country between Scotland and England, making a distinctly British word like York a cool choice for a name.
- Andrew – St. Andrews, a famous borough in Scotland, is known for the University of St. Andrews and is also considered the birth place of golf, among other things. Could be a cool name for a dog native to the country.
- Emma – This beautiful name has been used by royalty for centuries and is now of the most popular names in Great Britain.
- Duke – The ruler of a small state, Duke is a title that has been used throughout centuries and has a regal ring to it.
- Nessie – A nickname for the Lochness Monster of Scotland. It’s cute and unique.
- Isla – Meaning “of the Island,” Isla is a gorgeous name for a dog, especially one who has roots in Scotland.
- Winston – A timeless British name that is perfect for this breed.
- George – Like Winston, this name is classic and elegant, just like the Border Collie.
More Border Collie Names
To add to our top picks above, here are some more great name ideas for your Border Collie. Many of these names come from Irish, Scottish or English sources which are a perfect fit.
Border Collie Names in Movies & TV
- Bandit – 2nd dog from Little House on the Prairie
- Fly – Babe
- Hector – Heck’s Way Home
- Jessie – Animal Farm
- Murray – Border Collie mix from Mad About You
- Nana – Snow Dogs
- Raffles – Rover Dangerfield animated movie
- Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. – Everything is Illuminated
- Shep – British children’s show Blue Peter
- Trip, Ryder, Lucy, and Shep – A Dog Year
More Name Ideas
The Border Collie is a smart, hard-working dog that was bred for intelligence and obedience in the Anglo-Scottish border.
Energetic and athletic, the breed was used for herding livestock, in particular sheep.
Physically, the Border Collie is a striking dog. They weigh between 27-45 pounds, but their thick coat adds to their perceived size.
Speaking of that coat, the Border Collie can be one of many different colors, including black, blue, blue merle, brindle, gold and red, and also mixed with white coloring. Eye color varies from brown to blue and occasionally one of each.
We also recommend spending time with your dog and getting to know him or her before you decide on a final name. It’s always good to get a name that fits their personality and appearance.
If you have other ideas for Border Collies names, we’d love to hear them. Let us know below!