85+ Stunning Alaskan Dog NamesPublished: Last updated: by Jessi Larson
Looking for Alaskan dog names? We’ve got 85+ ideas that are unique, strong and spirited.
Alaskan dog names are perfect if you have an Alaskan breed like the Husky, Malamute or American Eskimo. Or really, if you have any type of northern dog breed.
They’re also a great choice if you hail from Alaska, love to visit or are simply fascinated with “The Last Frontier” state.
Our list of Alaskan dog names includes ideas inspired by geography, climate, native animals, local tribes and so much more. You won’t be disappointed!
Alaskan Dog Names – Geography
Without a doubt, Alaska is home to some of the most stunning scenery in the United States, if not the world.
From snow-capped peaks to picturesque forests to colorful coasts, the state’s geography is quite breathtaking.
As we explore Alaskan dog names, let’s take a look at geographically inspired ideas.
- Alaska – Of course, you can go with the obvious choice and name your dog Alaska.
- Laska – Or shorten it to this cool moniker.
- Juneau – The capital city of Alaska.
- Anchorage – Alaska’s most populous city.
- Fairbanks – A large city in the interior region of Alaska.
- Kodiak – The name of an Alaskan island and city.
- Ketchikan – A large Alaskan city not terribly far from Seattle.
- Sitka – The name of a strait, city and national park in Alaska.
- Wasilla – Another large Alaskan city.
- Valdez – A city and commercial fishing port.
- Yukon – The name of a river that flows from Canada into Alaska.
- Nuka – An island in the northern Gulf of Alaska.
- Denali – The highest mountain peak in North America (formerly named Mount McKinley).
- Hubbard – A glacier located in eastern Alaska and part of Yukon, Canada.
- Eska – As in Eska Falls.
- Kiska – An island that’s part of the Aleutian Islands of Alaska.
- Frontier – Alaska is called “The Last Frontier,” which is fitting considering that it’s the furthest extent of the United States.
Alaskan Dog Names – Nature, Weather & More
Another thing that Alaska stands out for: the weather. The locals will tell you to “be prepared for everything,” and that’s 100% true. It’s also home to unique natural elements found in few other places.
All of this provides excellent inspiration for Alaskan dog names!
- Storm – Stormy
Alaskan Dog Names – Native Animals
Continuing on, let’s now take a look at other animals indigenous to the state. Cute and creative, these ideas are great for Alaskan dog names!
Take a look at these 10+ ideas and see what you think.
- Whale – Whaley
Alaskan Dog Names – Native Tribes
As you explore Alaskan dog names, another approach is to look at native tribes in the state. It’s a wonderful way to pay homage to Alaska’s historic cultures.
Alaskan Dog Names – Sayings & Phrases
Did you know that Alaska is home to at least 20 native languages?
When looking for Alaskan dog names, you could consider common words in languages native to the state. This is a unique approach to naming your dog and will definitely set you apart from other pet parents!
- Aanaq (pronounced ah-nak) – mother
- Aatag (pronounced Ah-tag) – father
- Akiak – brave
- Akna – goddess
- Amak – playful
- Arrluk – whale
- Atka – king
- Chinook – warm wind
- Cupun – coal
- Eska – creek
- Kamik – Eskimo boot
- Kanut – white Geese
- Kaskae – chief
- Kavik – wolverine
- Kayuh – mountain
- Kima – candy
- Koko – chocolate
- Miki – little
- Miska – little bear
- Nanook – cute
- Nanuk – polar bear
- Nini – porcupine
- Nukla – younger Sister
- Pakak – one that gets into everything
- Panik – daughter
- Pinga – goddess of the hunt, fertility and medicine
- Pukak – snow
- Sakari – sweet
- Sesi – snow
- Shila – flame
- Shtiya – my strength
- Siku – ice
- Suka – fast
- Suluk – feather
- Sura – new life
- Tanana – hills
- Tikaani – wolf
- Tonrar – devil
- Tupit – tattoo
- Ulva – wolf
More Dog Name Ideas
The name ideas don’t stop here. If you’re not inspired by any of the names above, try our online generator and find even more options. You can sort by your favorite styles and themes.
Popular categories include:
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
After years of helping people pick the right pet name, here are some tips we’ve picked up when it comes to selecting a name for your dog:
- Does it roll off the tongue? Some names are awesome in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life.
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name?
- Does it fit your dog? You might have the perfect name picked out but it doesn’t fit with your dog’s personality or appearance, that’s a miss.
- Trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!
I would also try Nova
I love the name Koko definitely try that
im from Alaska and Nanook is Nunuk but white man spelling not cute