Hippie Dog Names
by Jessi Larson
Spirited, unconventional and full of life, hippie dog names are a fun and unique choice for a new pup.
The hippie movement is associated with creativity, freedom, spontaneity and, of course, peace. If these values resonate with you, you’ll love this list of hippie dog names.
Getting its start in the 1960s, the hippie subculture began as a youth movement in the United States and then spread across the world. The history is quite fascinating. But, if you’re looking for hippie dog names, you likely know a thing or two about it.
To create this name guide, we drew inspiration from nature, including flowers, plants, natural elements, the seasons and more. We also found names that represented the values of the hippie movement, like peace, love and unity. And of course, you can’t forget about the famous hippies in history and pop culture.
Have a look and see what you think. And if you have any hippie dog names to add to the list, let us know in the comments below.
Unisex Hippie Dog Names
Many hippie dog names work for both male and female pups. And really, what could be more of a hippie thing than gender-neutral names that fit any creature?
Take a look at this list and see what you think!
Male Hippie Dog Names
On the other hand, sometimes names are just more fitting for a certain gender. Take for example these male hippie dog names which draw inspiration from nature, spirituality, pop culture and more.
If you’re bringing home a boy dog, you must check out these names.
Female Hippie Dog Names
We must admit, finding hippie dog names for females was much more easy than for male pups. The biggest reason is likely that flower-inspired names – a staple in hippie culture – naturally lend themselves to girl dogs.
For those of you who are getting a female dog AND looking for hippie names, you’re in luck. You have many fabulous options to choose from!
More Ideas for Dog Names
The name ideas aren’t over yet. We have a number of other options to consider as you hunt for the perfect pup name.
- Flower dog names – Check out even more flower dog names. Gorgeous and graceful, these names are wonderful if you’re a nature lover and want to reflect your affection for the great outdoors.
- Hipster dog names – Although quite different, hippies and hipsters do have something in common: They both defy what’s considered mainstream culture.
- Mythical dog names – Another fun idea is to look at mythical dog names. Following mythical folklore, these names are unique and whimsical options for a new dog.
- Musical dog names – Who could forget the affect hippies had on music? Music was an important part of hippie culture, and the movement had a profound impact on music in the 1960s and early 1970s.
How Do You Pick The Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your dog? That’s a question new pup parents ask every day.
We’ve been helping dog owners find the perfect pet name for years now, and along the way we’ve picked up a few tips. Here is our advice for selecting the right name:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you lock in on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue.
- Say it out loud. And repeat it several times. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name? If the answer is no, then it’s not the right name. Move on and find a better option.
- Does it fit your dog? This is important. Check to see if the name matches your dog’s personality and appearance. A name might work well in theory but just not be right for your dog.
- And finally, trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!