150+ Perfect Chihuahua Names
by Jessi Larson
If you’re searching for Chihuahua names, look no further. We’ve got 150+ awesome ideas for your tiny tot.
When it comes to Chihuahua names, there is no shortage of inspiration, from their size to their Mexican heritage to famous Chihuahuas in pop culture.
Take a look at the list and see if any are a right fit for your little Chi!
Famous Chihuahuas in Pop Culture
Throughout the years, many Chihuahuas have appeared in TV, movies and in the arms of celebs. Here are 10 you might have heard of.
- Gidget – The most famous Chihuahua is the adorable dog from the Taco Bell commercials who says, “”¡Yo quiero Taco Bell!” In real life, this pup’s name is Gidget.
- Bruiser – In Legally Blonde, Elle Woods didn’t go anywhere without her Chihuahua named Bruiser.
- Coco – Cesar Millan’s dog featured on the television series Dog Whisperer.
- Mimi – Sharon Osbourne’s pet Chihuahua.
- Ren Höek – Of Ren and Stimpy fame.
- Tinkerbell – One of Paris Hilton’s pets that she famously carted around in her purse.
- Bambi – Hilton’s other Chihuahua.
- Tito – The Chihuahua in the Walt Disney feature animation Oliver and Company.
- Mammoth Mutt – In the animated series Krypto, Mammoth Mutt is a Chihuahua with the ability to inflate her body into a ball to fight off enemies.
- Boo Boo – This Chihuahua is the world’s smallest living dog according to Guinness Book of World Records.
Chihuahua Names Inspired By Size
Weighing in at only 3-7 lbs, Chihuahuas are incredibly tiny animals. In fact, they are the smallest dog breed on earth.
This provides excellent inspiration for Chihuahua names that are adorable and delightful.
- Runt or Runty
- Shrimp or Shrimpy
- Half Pint
Ironic Chihuahua Names
Chihuahuas aren’t exactly known for their hulking stature, which makes it super funny to give them a strong, tough name. A 5-lb dog named Goliath? Hilarious.
Here are ironic Chihuahua names we think you’ll get a kick out of.
Chihuahua Names Inspired By Mexican Heritage
The Chihuahua hails from Mexico. The most common – and most likely – theory is that Chihuahuas are descended from the Techichi, a companion dog favored by the Toltec civilization in Mexico.
With this in mind, you can use this heritage for Chihuahua names. Let’s start with popular destinations in the country:
- Tijuana (or TJ for short)
- Chichén Itzá
Popular Male Names in Mexico
Another idea is to go with Hispanic names that are popular right now. Here are some of the top male names in Mexico that also double as great Chihuahua names.
Popular Female Names in Mexico
Continuing on, here are the most popular female names in Mexico. They’re beautiful, charming and unique.
Cute Male Chihuahua Names
With their small frame, large, curious eyes, button nose and adorable ears, Chihuahuas are quite the cute creatures.
Ultimately, a cute and cuddly name might just be the right fit for your new furbaby. Check out these super sweet male dog names.
If you like the idea of a cute male dog name, use our online generator to find even more ideas.
Cute Female Chihuahua Names
If you have a female Chihuahua, we think you’ll love these charming and sweet names. They work for any dog, but there’s something special about using them for a lovely little Chihuahua.
If you like the idea of a cute female dog name, use our online generator to find even more ideas.
Do you have any other ideas for Chihuahua names? These pups have such an interesting appearance and history – we’re sure there are cool names we’re missing!
If you have other Chihuahua names, let us know in the comments below. We always love hearing your ideas and inspiration and use them to enhance our website.
Here are some more great ideas:
Teach your dog its name
Last but not least, we’ve got some tips to teach your Chi its name when the time comes.
To start, make sure you’re in a quiet place without distractions. This will help your dog focus.
From there, repeat your dog’s name. When he or she looks at you, say “Yes!” and hand out a treat. Do this 3-5 times in a round. Continue to say your dog’s name in day-to-day interactions.
Before you know it, your dog will know its name like a pro!