100+ Mexican Dog Names – The Ultimate List
by Jessi Larson
One of the hardest decisions when getting a dog is deciding on what name to give your new furry friend. One idea: Mexican dog names!
Inspiration for dog names is all around you. Some people name their pups after sports teams, their favorite musicians .
Others draw inspiration from certain cultures, like Mexico. Whether you have your eye on a Mexican dog breed, such as a Chihuahua or a Mexican Hairless Dog, or just appreciate the vibrant and colorful Mexican culture, there’s a multitude of Mexican dog names to choose for your perro!
We’ve gathered a list of awesome names based on popular Spanish words, Mexican locations, food and beverages, and the top male and female names in the country.
Mexican Dog Names – Popular Male Names
One place to draw inspiration from for dog names are popular human names in Mexico.
Toping the charts in Mexico, these male names are also great for dogs. They bring a unique, sophisticated flare that is perfect for boy pups.
Mexican Dog Names – Popular Female Names
The top female names in Mexico are cute, colorful options for your girl pup. Any dog would be lucky to have one of these beautiful names.
- Ana María
- Frida – this is inspired by Mexican artist Frida Kahlo
- Rosa María
- Selena – like the popular Mexican-American singer songwriter
Mexican Dog Names Inspired by Spanish Words
The Spanish language flows smoothly and sounds pleasant to the ears due, in part, to it being a romance language.
This makes it a great source for potential names for your new canine. Try out some of the Spanish words listed and see if one is the perfect fit as you search for Mexican dog names!
- Alba – Daybreak
- Alma – Soul
- Amiga – Friend (female)
- Amigo – Friend (male)
- Amor – Love
- Bella – Beautiful
- Blanco – White (male)
- Blanca – White (female)
- Bonita – Pretty
- Che – Buddy or dude
- Chico – Boy
- Chica – Girl
- Chucho – Doggy (male)
- Chucha – Doggy (female)
- Corazon – Heart
- Cordero – Lamb
- Cosa – Sweet thing
- Diablo – Devil
- Domingo – Sunday
- Fiesta – Party
- Fresca –Fresh
- Gordito – chubby
- Hola – Hello
- Lobo – Wolf
- Luna – Moon
- Mariposa – Butterfly
- Oso – Bear
- Pan – Bread
- Princesa – Princess
- Querida – Dear
- Risa – Laughter
- Santo – Saint
- Sierra – Mountains
- Sol – Sun
- Solana – Sunny Spot
- Tigre – Tiger
- Toro – Bull
- Vida – Life
- Zorro – Fox
Names Inspired by Geography
Perhaps you’re still not convinced you’ve found the perfect name for your new dog.
Whether it’s a city, mountain or river, there are plenty of names to try that are inspired by the country’s geography.
Mapped out below are a list of geographically-inspired names Mexican dog names.
Maybe you’ve been to one of these places, you want to go there someday or you just like the name.
- La Paz
- Cabo San Lucas
States and Regions
- Quintana Roo
Mexican Dog Names Inspired by Food and Beverages
The food of Mexico is another good place to explore in your search for the perfect dog name. From empanadas to guacamole, there are plenty of cuisine choices to draw inspiration from.
These names pay tribute to the wonderful traditions and cultural cuisines of the country. If you’re looking for a Mexican food-inspired name for you new pup, consider some of the following options!
- Chilaquiles – This is a dish made up of fried corn tortilla pieces that’s then cooked in salsa and topped with cheese. You could call your dog “Chila” for short!
- Cayenne – Spice is important in Mexican food and cayenne peppers are used to add heat to certain dishes.
- Jicama – A popular root vegetable that is used in a variety of Mexican dishes.
- Margarita – Whether blended or on the rocks, this is a great option for Mexican dog names inspired by popular alcoholic drinks.
- Paloma – A lesser known alcoholic drink, Paloma is made using grapefruit juice and tequila.
- Burrito – This is a fun option for a small dog, since the well known tortilla dish ends in -ito. In Spanish, this word ending means tiny or small!
- Pico – This name is inspired by the dish, pico de gallo. Pico de Gallo is a freshly prepared salsa that typically includes tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Churro – The fried-dough pastry is a delicious dessert in Mexico and makes for a great dog name.
- Tamale – The traditional Mesoamerican dish is made of masa or dough that is steamed in a corn husk or banana leaf. This is certainly a fun name option for a furry friend.
- Enchilada – One of the most popular dishes in Mexico, Enchilada is a fun, unique pet name as well.
- Nacho – This is a short, playful name that pays tribute to the delicious Mexican food.
- Ceviche – Made from fresh raw fish cured in fresh citrus juices and flavored with spices, Ceviche is an appetizing dish and a sophisticated dog name.
- Cemita – A sandwich in Mexico.
- Tajin – A popular seasoning brand.
- Chalupa – This specialty dish in south-central Mexico makes for a cute and charming pet name.
- Taco – A fun and vivacious name, this pays tribute to perhaps the most well-known food in Mexico.
- Dos Equis – A well-known Mexican beer, Dos Equis also serves a sophisticated Mexican dog name.
- Negra Modelo – And last but not least is Negra Modelo, a delicious dark beer from Mexico.
Conclusion: Mexican Dog Names
Naming your new dog can be a tough decision. After all, it’s a choice that you’ll both have to live with for years to come!
Focus on shorter names that are easy to say. You don’t want your dog getting confused over something as simple as their name.
From there, pick out a handful of your favorite options and try them out! Chances are you (or your dog!) will feel more drawn to one than the others.
Keep these tips and name ideas in mind and it will only be a matter of time before you find the perfect pick when it comes to Mexican dog names.
More Dog Name Ideas
The dog name ideas don’t stop here. If you’re not inspired by any of the names above, try our online generator and find even more options. You can sort by your favorite styles and themes.
Popular categories include:
You can also use our online generator and enter in the styles of names you like or themes based on things you enjoy, like movies, TV, history, music, food, sports and more.
How Do You Pick the Right Name?
How do you know if you’ve picked the right name for your dog? That’s a question all new dog parents ask.
After years of helping new pup parents, we’ve picked up a few tricks along the way when it comes to selecting a name for your dog:
- Is it easy to say? Some names are great in theory but tough to pronounce in everyday life. Before you lock in on a name, make sure it rolls off the tongue. After all, you’ll be saying it a whole lot!
- Say it out loud. Can you imagine loudly calling for your dog with this name? If not, then it’s not the right name and you should move on.
- Does it fit your dog? Check to see if the name matches your dog’s personality and appearance. This is important for both you and your pup.
- And finally, trust your gut. When you find the right name, you’ll know it!
5 Easy Steps to Teach a Dog Their Name
Once you have a name, how do you teach it to your dog?
All pup parents go through this scenario. They’ve picked out a perfect name and can’t wait to start using it for their dog.
The only problem is their dog doesn’t recognize it yet.
If you’re in this situation, don’t fret. Teaching your dog their name is a lot easier than you think.
Here are five easy steps to take to teach your dog their name.
- Get some small treats and put your dog on a leash in a location without any distractions.
- Say your puppy’s name in a clear, happy, excited voice.
- As soon as they look at you, say “yes” and give them a treat.
- Wait until they look away and then repeat the process 3-5 times.
- Play this name game several times a day and soon they’ll know and love responding to their name!
Want to learn more about how to teach a dog their name? We have an awesome guide that makes it easy.