Our list of nautical dog names has excellent names for anyone who loves boating, sailing or just hanging out by the water. Read on for ideas from ships, explorers, sea creatures, and more!
Top 10 Nautical Dog Names
Here are our favorite dog name options related to life on the water.
Ocean, Sea, Lake, and Water Dog Names
This list of name ideas comes from the various bodies of water worldwide. You can also come up with some great ideas by looking at a map of the areas where you like to go and picking out lakes, beaches, rivers, or other names that are unique to your location.
- Lach – Scottish for “one who dwells by the lake”
- Ontario – one of the great lakes
Boat Dog Names
These nautical dog names come from ships and boats and the various terms related to sailing them. If you’re a boating fan, you may find the perfect name for your first mate.
- Boomer – a slang term for a missile sub
- Cutter – a small boat
- Jack – a flag flown by a ship
- Jolly Roger
- Romper – a ship that breaks ranks from its convoy
- Spinnaker – racing sail
- Star – short for starboard
- Zabra – small sailing vessel
Sailor Dog Names
These ideas come from the people in charge of ships and some famous seafaring explorers.
- Columbus – Christopher Columbus sailed to the Americas
- Cousteau – Jacques Cousteau, French naval officer, explorer, and filmmaker
- Drake – Sir Francis Drake, the second person to circumnavigate the globe
- Grace – Grace O’Malley, a female pirate
- Jacques – Another option for explorer Jacques Cousteau
- Magellan – a famous explorer from Portugal
Famous Sea Names
Here is a collection of names from books, movies, and mythology.
- Ahab – Captain who hunted Moby Dick
- Ariel – The main character from Disney’s “The Little Mermaid”
- Atlantis – A lost city believed to be underwater
- Davy Jones – Devil of the seas from English pirate lore
- Doris – Greek goddess of the sea’s bounty
- Dory – A character from Disney’s “Finding Nemo” and “Finding Dory”
- Flounder – The fish best friend of the Little Mermaid
- Jack Sparrow – Johnny Depp’s pirate character from “Pirates of the Caribbean”
- Jonah – A man a whale swallowed in the Bible
- Mermaid – A fictional creature with the top half of a woman and the bottom half of a fish
- Nemo – A famous sea captain from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas and the title character from Disney’s “Finding Nemo”
- Neptune – The Roman god of freshwater and the sea
- Nessie – A nickname for the Loch Ness monster
- Patrick – Starfish character from “SpongeBob Squarepants”
- Pharaoh – The ship in The Count of Monte Cristo
- Popeye – A cartoon about a spinach-eating sailor
- Poseidon – The god of the sea from Greek mythology
- Scuppers – Book about a sailor dog
- Triton – Fish-tailed son of Poseidon from Greek mythology
Aquatic Animal Names
Finally, we’ll finish with some animal names that might make for a unique name option for your pup.
- Barney – short for barnacle
- Wahoo – a type of fish
More Name Ideas
You might also enjoy these other related name lists:View Your Saved Names