Strong & Courageous Police Dog Names
by Jessi Larson
Are you on the hunt for police dog names? If so, your search ends here.
We are honored to provide name inspiration for dogs serving their communities.
Police dogs certainly play an important role on the force. Their jobs include chasing a fleeing suspect and detaining them; sniffing out illegal substances; searching for missing persons; or detecting cadavers. Not exactly easy work!
When you think of the types of dogs used by police, the first breed that probably comes to mind is the German Shepherd. In actuality, however, a number of other breeds are utilized by the force, including Labrador Retrievers, Boxers and even Beagles.
Day in and day out, police dogs put their lives on the line for our safety, so the least we can do is contribute names fitting for such wonderful canines!
Ideas for Police Dog Names
To kick off our list, let’s first start with names inspired by police titles and terms.
From the different officer rankings to terms used in the police force to words that describe the purpose of their work, here are strong police dog names to consider.
- Inspector (the second supervisory rank in the British police force)
Funny Police Dog Names
Police work is very serious, so to cut through the tension, a funny name for the department dog may be in order.
If you can get approval, these police dog names are funny, quirky and very entertaining.
- Po-Po – A slang term for the police.
- Donut – There’s a joke that cops hang out at the donut shop, so you could play on this theme.
- Fritter – Along those lines, the Fritter is a popular type of donut.
- Long John – As is the Long John.
- Boston Crème – And don’t forget the Boston Creme!
- Deputy Dawg – The classic cartoon centered around a deputy sheriff in the Mississippi bayous of the United States who just happens to be a dog.
- Gum Shoe – A slang term for a detective.
- RoboCop – The title character of the 1987 film about a superhuman cyborg law enforcer.
- Five-O – As in the show “Hawaii Five-O.”
- Mod – Short for “The Mod Squad,” an iconic American crime drama.
- Chief Wiggum – The bumbling police chief in “The Simpsons.”
- Fuzz – Another slang term for the police force.
- Prowler – A word for someone who follows a person around, which, when you think about it, is kind of like a dog.
Police Dog Names Inspired By Famous Cops
Since the dawn of the silver screen, there has been no shortage of intriguing cop characters both in film and on TV.
Those characters provide excellent inspiration when looking for police dog names. Some of our favorites include:
- Columbo – The eponymous main character in the detective crime drama series “Columbo.”
- Lennie Briscoe – A fictional character on NBC’s long-running police procedural and legal drama television series “Law & Order.”
- Joe Friday – The lead character in the police series “Dragnet.” While we’re on the topic, Dragnet also makes a great police dog name.
- Hank Schrader – If you’re a fan of “Breaking Bad,” you’ll get this reference to Walter White’s DEA agent brother-in-law.
- Olivia Benson – A character on “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” who is wonderfully played by Mariska Hargitay.
- Barney Fife – The iconic bumbling cop on “The Andy Griffith Show.”
- Sipowicz – As in Andy Sipowicz of “NYPD Blue.”
- Barney Miller – An American sitcom set in a New York City Police Department police station in Greenwich Village.
- Cagney – As in Christine Cagney, part of “Cagney & Lacey,” a groundbreaking 1980s series focused on two female police detectives.
- Lacey – The other half of the duo.
- Horatio Caine – David Caruso played this character in “CSI: Miami” for 10 years.
- Starsky – We can’t talk about famous police characters without mentioning David Michael Starsky of “Starsky and Hutch.”
- Hutch – The same goes for Kenneth Richard “Hutch” Hutchinson.
Tough Male Dog Names
As a police officer, you have to be tough. The same goes for your K-9 force.
With this in mind, we’ve gathered up our toughest, strongest male dog names out there. These names signal there’s no messing around with your canine companion.
Get more tough male dog names.
Tough Female Dog Names
Last, but certainly not least, are tough female dog names perfect for a pup on the force.
We love these ideas for female police dog names and think you will, too.
- Joan of Arc
Get more tough female dog names.