Game of Thrones Dog Names – 80+ Inspired Ideas
by Jessi Larson
Game of Thrones is one of the most popular series of all times. If you’re a GOT fan and getting a new dog, you must check out Game of Thrones dog names.
Our list of 80+ Game of Thrones dog names includes people, places, animals and so much more.
Male Game of Thrones Dog Names
- Jon Snow – Introduced as the illegitimate son of Ned Stark, Jon Snow is a top protagonist in both the GOT books and TV show. He is solemn and guarded with strong morales. This is certainly a fun name if you are a GOT fan!
- Tyrion – Tyrion Lannister is the youngest child of Lord Tywin Lannister and younger brother of Cersei and Jaime Lannister. A dwarf, he uses his wit and intellect to overcome the prejudice he faces.
- Joffrey – Oh, Joffrey, the character we love to hate. The evil, psychopathic young king was beloved by his mother Cersei Lannister and no one else. When it comes to Game of Thrones dog names, this is certainly a fun idea, especially if you have a pup with a hint of naughtiness.
- Jamie – Ser Jaime Lannister is the eldest son of Tywin, younger twin brother of Cersei, and older brother of Tyrion Lannister. His nickname is “Kingslayer,” given to him after infamously backstabbing King Aerys Targaryen during the sack of King’s Landing.
- Little Finger – The nickname for Petyr Baelish, the Master of Coin and a skilled manipulator who essentially puts into motion the major conflict in Westeros.
- Ned Stark – Once the head of House Stark, Ned Stark famously lost his head when he was executed on orders from King Joffrey, thus setting off the War of the Five Kings.
- Khal Drogo – A tough Dothraki warrior who ultimately had a heart of gold, Khal Drogo is the first husband of Daenerys Targaryen.
- Bran – Son of Eddard and Catelyn Stark, Bran is a warg and currently the new Three-Eyed Raven, using his supernatural gifts to assist his family in the war against the White Walkers.
- Jorah – A formerly exiled Northern lord from Westero, Jorah Mormont has sworn loyalty to Daenerys Targaryen and serves as her loyal companion.
- Tywin – The head of House Lannister, Tywin Lannister is considered one of the richest and most powerful people in the world.
- Stannis – The younger brother of King Robert Baratheon and older brother of Renly Baratheon, Stannis wages an unsuccessful battle to win the Iron Throne.
- Ramsay – If you’ve got a dog that’s on the crazy side, this name could be a good fit. Ramsay Snow is the sadistic son of Roose Bolton who wreaks terror on many GOT characters.
- Robb – As in Robb Stark, the eldest son of Ned and Catelyn Stark and the older brother of Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon.
- Gendry – Fan-favorite Gendry is a skilled blacksmith and an unacknowledged son of King Robert Baratheon.
- Bronn – A skilled sellsword, Bronn provides plenty of comic relief in GOT with his quick-witter zingers.
- Hodor – Aw, Hodor. The beloved character is a simpleminded servant at Winterfell who helps care for and transport Bran after his injury. Given the character’s extra large size, the name Hodor is especially applicable for plus-sized pups.
- Davos – As in Ser Davos Seaworth, a reformed smuggler also known as the Onion Knight. He is a trusted advisor to Stannis Baratheon.
- Oberyn – Prince Oberyn Martell, also called the Red Viper of Dorne, shook things up on GOT when he came to King’s Landing looking for revenge.
- Grey Worm – Commander of the Unsullied, Grey Worm is another member of Daenerys Targaryen’s inner circle.
- Jaqen H’ghar – The mysterious Jaqen H’ghar is actually an assumed identity of one of the Faceless Men of Braavos, a feared order of mysterious assassins.
- Podrick – Podrick Payne is Tyrion Lannister’s former squire who comes into the service of Brienne of Tarth.
- Tommen – Poor sweet, gullible Tommen Baratheon. He is the total opposite of his brother Joffrey but still meets a tragic end.
- The Hound – The nickname for Sandor Clegane, the former bodyguard of Prince Joffrey who has a redemptive story arc. Naturally, this name lends itself well for Game of Thrones dog names!
- The Mountain – The Mountain is the nickname for Gregor Clegane, older brother of Sandor. He is a notoriously fearsome and much-feared warrior.
- Varys – Also called the Spider, Varys is a eunuch that is also known as the Master of Whisperers.
- Tormund – A fan-favorite character, Tormund Giantsbane is a renowned leader among the Free Folk who unites with Jon Snow to fight the Whitewalkers.
- Jojen – Young Jojen Reed accompanies Bran and his group on a journey beyond the wall to find the Three-Eyed Raven.
- Samwell – A steward in the Night’s Watch, Samwell Tarly is Jon Snow’s closest friend. You can name your dog Samwell or Tarly – or use his full name!
- Rhaegar – Prince Rhaegar Targaryen was the eldest son and heir to King Aerys II Targaryen. His “abduction” of Lyanna sparked Robert’s Rebellion and ultimately led to the end of Targaryen rule.
- Benjen – Brother of Ned Stark, Benjen is a the First Ranger of the Night’s Watch who mysteriously disappears and reappears
- Renly – Youngest of the Baratheon brothers, the friendly and popular Renly Baratheon tried to lay claim to the Iron Throne.
- Rickon – Rickon Stark doesn’t get as much airtime as his older Stark siblings, but still, he has an interesting role to play.
- Aemon – An advisors in the Night’s Watch, Aemon Targaryen is the last known Targaryen in Westeros.
- Olly – A farm boy who fled to the Night’s Watch after his village was attacked by the Free Folk, Olly becomes the personal steward of Jon Snow.
- Walder Frey – Walder Frey is a slippery character who orchestrated the infamous Red Wedding.
- Daario – Originally a lieutenant in the Second Sons, Daario Naharis aligns with Daenerys Targaryen and serves as her advisor and enforcer.
Female Game of Thrones Dog Names
- Daenerys – One of the main characters on GOT, Daenerys Targaryen is determined to retake the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms. She has three dragons, giving her the nickname “The Mother of Dragons.” She also goes by Dany for short.
- Khaleesi – Daenerys also goes by Khaleesi, which means queen in Dothraki.
- Cersei – Cersei Lannister was once queen of the Seven Kingdoms through her marriage to King Robert Baratheon. Although bitter and glib, Cersei is fiercely loyal to and protective of those she loves, including her three childrer, Joffrey, Myrcella and Tommen, and her brother Jamie, with whom she has a special relationship.
- Sansa – The eldest daughter of Ned and Catelyn Stark, Sansa is proper and polite and dreams of becoming a queen. All that changes, however, as her character experiences one horrific event after another, eventually learning how to play the game.
- Arya – The middle Stark child, Arya is scrappy tomboy who seeks justice for all the injustices committed against her family. In the past few years, we’ve seen a huge rise in new dog owners giving their pup the name Arya, surely due to this character’s popularity.
- Brienne – As in Brienne of Tarth, a fierce warrior who is unusually tall and muscular for a woman and can outfight almost any man.
- Margaery – Beautiful and clever, Margaery Tyrell becomes Queen Consort through her marriage to King Joffrey Baratheon, and later his younger brother Tommen.
- Melisandre – Often referred to as the Red Woman, Melisandre is a Red Priestess in the religion of R’hllor, the Lord of Light, and a close counsellor to Stannis Baratheon. This makes a great name for a female dog with red coloring!
- Catelyn – Wife of Ned Stark, Catelyn is a fiercely devoted mother to her five children, Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon.
- Lyanna – Lyanna is the name of two important characters in Game of Thrones. First there is Lyanna Stark, the beautiful and fearless sister of Ned Stark whose alleged kidnapping by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen contributed to the outbreak of Robert’s Rebellion. It’s also the name of Lady Lyanna Mormont, the young, feisty leader of Bear Island.
- Ygritte – A woman of the Free Folk who lived north of the Wall, Ygritte was part of Mance Rayder’s army and became the lover of Jon Snow.
- Olenna – Fan-favorite Lady Olenna Tyrell is the sharp-tongued matriarch of House Tyrell.
- Yara – A member of the Greyjoy family of the Iron Islands, Yara is a fierce warrior and commands her own longship
- Ellaria – Ellaria Sand is the paramour of Prince Oberyn Martell from Dorne and “mother” to the Sand Snakes.
- Shae – Feisty and strong, Shae is a prostitute who begins exclusive relationship with Tyrion Lannister but eventually betrays him.
- Missandei – A former slave, Missandei now serves as Daenerys’s trusted advisor and handmaiden.
- Gilly – Sweet Gilly is a wilding and Craster daughter who forms a relationship with Samwell Tarly.
- Myrcella – Although she goes by Myrcella Baratheon, she is actually the daughter of Cersei and Jamie Lannister. She is the only sister of Joffrey and Tommen.
- Meera – The daughter of Howland Reed, Meera Reed joins Bran Stark and his crew on their journey beyond the Wall.
- Osha – Osha is a wilding who joins the service of House Stark.
Game of Thrones Dog Names Inspired By The Direwolves
In Game of Thrones, direwolves are an unusually large and intelligent species of wolf that is near-mythical in most of the south of Westeros. Early on, the Stark family comes across a litter of six direwolf puppies, and each child adopts one.
If you’re looking for Game of Thrones dog names, these are excellent options:
- Ghost – Ghost is adopted and raised by Jon Snow. Ghost is an albino with white fur and red eyes. Though he was the runt of the litter when he was born, he quickly grew to be as big as the rest of his siblings.
- Nymeria – Nymeria is adopted and raised by Arya Stark. After she leaves Arya, she becomes the leader of a huge wolf pack in the Riverlands.
- Summer – Summer is adopted and raised by Bran Stark and accompanies him when he travels north of The Wall.
- Shaggydog – Raised by Rickon Stark, Shaggydog is distinguished from the rest of his siblings by his black fur.
- Grey Wind – Grey Wind is adopted and raised by Robb Stark
- Lady – And last but not least is Lady, the direwolf belonging to Sansa Stark.
Game of Thrones Dog Names Inspired By Dragons
Daenerys Targaryen is mother to three dragons, the first the world has seen in hundreds of years. These certainly make unique, playful Game of Thrones dog names!
- Drogon – Drogon is named after Daenerys’s late husband Khal Drogo. He is distinguished by his black and red colored scales and red-black wings and is the dragon that Daenerys rides.
- Rhaegal – Daenerys named Rhaegal after her eldest brother, Rhaegar. As far as his appearance goes, he has green and bronze colored scales and yellow-orange colored wings.
- Viserion – Inspired by Daenerys’s elder brother Viserys, Viserion is noted for his cream and gold colored scales and red-orange wings.
Noteworthy Family Names in Game of Thrones
Another idea for Game of Thrones dog names is to look at important noble family names, like the following:
- Lannister – The Lannister family is one of the great houses of Westeros. With their enormous wealth, it is said that “A Lannister always pays his debt.”
- Baratheon – House Baratheon traditionally ruled the Stormlands on the eastern coast of Westeros and became the royal house of the Seven Kingdoms after Robert Baratheon led a rebellion against the Targaryen dynasty.
- Stark – House Stark of Winterfell is a Great House of Westeros that rules over the vast region known as the North from their home in Winterfell.
- Targaryen – For years the Targaryens served as the ruling family of the Seven Kingdoms. They stand out for their silver-white hair and very fair skin. They are known for their relationship with dragons.
- Greyjoy – The Greyjoy family is based in Pyke and rules over the Iron Islands, a collection of bleak islands off the west coast of Westero. This is a fun name for a gray dog like a Greyhound or Weimaraner.
- Martell – One of the Great Houses of the Seven Kingdoms, the Martell family rules over Dorne.
- Tully – House Tully rules over the riverlands from their seat at Riverrun. Their house words are “Family, Duty, Honor.”
- Tyrell – A large, wealthy house, the Tyrells are based in Highgarden and boast a great army.
More Game of Thrones Dog Names
- Westeros – One of the four known continents in the known world and home to the Seven Kingdoms. You could call your dog West for short.
- Essos – Essos is the largest of the four known continents in the world and has quite a different culture than Westeros.
- White Walker – White Walkers are an ancient race of humanoid ice creatures who come from the Far North and are ready to wreak havoc on Westeros. This is a fun name for a white dog!
- Ice – As in “A Song of Fire and Ice,” the name of the collection of novels by George R. R. Martin.
- Winter – Because winter is coming!
- Raven – The Three-Eyed Raven is an important and mysterious character. This makes a great name for a black-color dog.
- Warg – The name for people who have the ability to enter the minds of animals to perceive the world through their senses and control their actions. (Wouldn’t that be a fun power?
- Dothraki – A race of nomadic horse-mounted warriors in Essos.
Other Ideas for Game of Thrones Dog Names?
If you have other ideas for Game of Thrones dog names, let us know below. The GOT world is rich with interesting people, places, traditions and more, so if there is something we missed, we want to hear about it.
Or, if you gave your dog a Game of Thrones name, we want to hear that, too!
Looking for more dog name ideas? Check out our post of Nerdy Dog Names!