If you love Middle-Earth, these Lord of the Rings dog names might be perfect for your pup! This list covers names from LoTR, The Hobbit, The Rings of Power, and more.
Top Male Lord of the Rings Dog Names
Here are some of our favorite ideas for boy dogs featuring some of the most beloved characters from the books.
- Bard – The man who shot the dragon Smaug with his bow.
- Bilbo – The lead character in The Hobbit. He finds the ring and eventually passes it on to Frodo.
- Elrond – The leader of the elves of Rivendell and Arwen’s father.
- Frodo – The hobbit leader of the fellowship of the ring, who takes on the task of carrying to ring to Mount Doom.
- Gandalf – A wizard who guides both Bilbo and Frodo. He begins as Gandalf the Grey and becomes Gandalf the White.
- Gimli – A brave dwarf who wields an ax and joins the fellowship of the ring.
- Hobbit – A small creature that is overlooked by most of the world but is the focus of the books.
- Legolas – A skilled elf who is a member of the fellowship of the ring.
- Merry – Meriadoc Brandybuck, one of Frodo’s hobbit companions, best friends of Pippin.
- Pippin – A mischievous hobbit who joins Frodo on his journey.
- Sam – Samwise Gamgee is Frodo’s most loyal friend who helps Frodo survive his mission.
- Sauron – A powerful being who created the One Ring and brought evil to Middle-Earth.
- Strider – Another name for Aragorn.
- Tolkien – JRR Tolkien, the author of Lord of the Rings
- Tom – Tom Bombadil was a strange creature with power over nature.
- Wizard – (or Wiz) a powerful magic user
Top Female Lord of the Rings Dog Names
While there aren’t as many female characters in Lord of the Rings, you might love these girl dog names from the stories.
- Arien – A fire-spirit.
- Arwen – An elf princess who marries Aragorn, sacrificing her immortal life.
- Bella – Belladonna Took, Bilbo’s mother.
- Elanor – The daughter of Samwise Gamgee.
- Éowyn – A human warrior woman who loves Aragorn, but he chooses an elf over her.
- Estella – Estella Brandybuck, a hobbit
- Gilly – A hobbit in the Shire
- Goldberry – A river spirit who marries Tom Bombadil
- Narya – One of the rings of power.
- Nessa – a fast-moving spirit.
- Pansy – a hobbit.
- Pearl – another hobbit.
- Precious – Gollum’s name for the One Ring.
- Rose – (or Rosie) Rose Cotton, Samwise Gamgee’s wife.
- Varda – The Queen of the Valar.
Other Lord of the Rings Characters
Here are some other characters from across the LOTR universe. These names are either not as catchy, a little tougher to pronounce, or may not be as ideal for a dog name (it’s best to use names with 1-2 syllables). However, they might still work or provide some inspiration for your puppy’s name.
- Aragorn – a human ranger that is destined to become the King of Men
- Balin – A dwarf in Thorin Oakenshield’s company.
- Boromir – Heir to the steward of Gondor who falls to his desire for the ring to help his people.
- Celeborn – The elf lord of Lothlorien and husband of Galadriel.
- Denethor – The steward of Gondor who has grown corrupt.
- Dori – A dwarf in Thorin’s Company and brother of Nori
- Éomer – Leader of the Riders of Rohan and Theoden’s nephew.
- Faramir – Brother of Boromir who cannot live up to him in their father’s eyes.
- Galadriel – The queen of the Sylvan elves who helps guide Frodo.
- Gloin – A dwarf who is the father of Gimli and a member of Thorin Oakenshield’s company.
- Glorfindel – An elf hero who battles against the Ringwraiths.
- Gollum – A swap creature who used to be a hobbit named Sméagol before being corrupted by the ring.
- Gríma – Gríma Wormtongue, a spy of Saruman’s who corrupts King Theoden.
- Haldir – An elvish leader who is killed when defending the humans at Rohan.
- Isildur – A human King of Gondor who defeated Sauron but failed to destroy the ring.
- Melkor – an ancient dark lord.
- Nazgûl – The name of the ringwraiths.
- Nori – A dwarf in Thorin’s company and brother of Dori.
- Ori – Another dwarf member of Thorin’s company.
- Radagast – A wizard with powers over nature.
- Saruman – A wizard who becomes corrupted and joins Sauron.
- Talion – A ranger from Gondor who was reborn as a wraith.
- Théoden – The king of Rohan who escapes the corruption of Wormtongue.
- Thorin – Thorin Oakenshield a dwarf who is the son of King Thrain.
Ideas from Middle Earth Locations
These name ideas come from the various locations around Middle-Earth.
- Bree – A village near the Shire.
- Fangorn – the forest that the ents live in.
- Gondor – a human kingdom.
- Helm – Helm’s Deep
- Minas – Minas Tirith
- Misty – Misty Mountains
- Mordor – The home of Sauron.
- Rohan – a kingdom of horsemen (the Riders of Rohan).
- Shire – Where the hobbits live.
Names from Creatures Across Middle Earth
Here are some name ideas from various monsters, animals, and mythical creatures.
- Dragon – a mythical fire-breathing lizard, Smaug in The Hobbit
- Ent – a living tree
- Fang – one of Farmer Maggot’s guard dogs.
- Orc – A powerful humanoid monster.
- Shadowfax – A meara (intelligent horse) of Gandalf.
- Shelob – A giant spider.
- Smaug – a dragon featured in The Hobbit
- Treebeard – An Ent who helps Merry and Pippin.
- Warg – A wolf-like creature.
If you enjoy literary dog names, you might also enjoy ideas from Game of Thrones or Harry Potter. We hope you found some great options for names, and feel free to list some other ideas in the comments. As new stories from Middle Earth are released, we’ll continue to add our own!View Your Saved Names