Space Dog NamesLast updated: by Kyle J. Larson
These space dog names are excellent for anyone who loves science and exploration. We’ve gathered a great list of ideas from outer space, famous astronomers, astronauts, and sci-fi. Read on to see our list of 145 great options for your pup.
Star Names for Dogs
Starting off, we have a list of stars and their constellations that would make some excellent name options for your puppy.
- Alpha – Alpha Centauri, Centaurus (as well as other stars)
- Altair – Aquila
- Antares – Scorpius
- Barnard – Barnard’s Star, Ophiuchus
- Beta – Beta Centauri, Centaurus (as well as other stars)
- Betelgeuse – Orion
- Binary – A pair of stars in orbit
- Capella – Auriga
- Castor – Gemini
- Mira – Mira Ceti, Cetus
- Omega – Omega Centauri, Centaurus
- Polaris – Ursa Minor
- Pollux – Gemini
- Pulsar – pulsating radio star
- Rigel – Orion
- Sirius – Canis Major, the brightest star in the sky (aka the Dog Star)
- Spica – Virgo
- Vega – Lyra
Constellation Names and Descriptions
These constellations, including some of the stars we listed above, have unique names that’d be great for a dog. Many of these also include names well-known in Astrology, such as Aries and Virgo.
- Aquila – Eagle
- Aries – Ram
- Capricorn – Capricornus, Sea goat
- Carina – Keel of Argonauts’ ship
- Cassi – Cassiopeia, Queen of Ethiopia
- Cetus – Sea monster
- Columba – Dove
- Corvus – Crow
- Crux – Cross
- Cygnus – Swan
- Dipper – Big dipper, part of Ursa Major
- Dorado – Swordfish
- Draco – Dragon
- Gemini – Twins
- Hercules – Son of Zeus
- Hydra – Sea serpent
- Hydrus – Watersnake
- Indus – Indian
- Leo – Lion
- Libra – Balance
- Lupus – Wolf
- Lynx – Lynx
- Lyra – Harp
- Norma – Carpenter’s level
- Octans – Octant
- Orion – The hunter
- Pavo – Peacock
- Pegasus – Winged horse
- Perseus – Hero who saved Andromeda
- Phoenix – Resurrecting bird
- Pictor – Easel
- Pisces – Fish
- Scorpio – Scorpius, Scorpion
- Taurus – Bull
- Ursa – Bear
- Virgo – Virgin
Here are some familiar planet names for dogs that you might consider. Even though Pluto may not be a planet, we’ve considered it because it makes a great name (plus, you may love the Disney dog Pluto).
Moon Names for Dogs
These moons orbit some of our solar system’s planets and have cool-sounding names.
- Callisto – Jupiter
- Deimos – Mars
- Dione – Saturn
- Europa – Jupiter
- Moon – Earth
- Phobos – Mars
- Phoebe – Saturn
Astronomy Dog Names
These astronomy dog names come from famous astronomers who studied the science that allowed us to explore the universe. It also includes the astronaut explorers who bravely risked their lives to travel into the depths of space.
- Apollo – The Apollo program was the United States human spaceflight program
- Armstrong – Neil Armstrong was an American astronaut and the first man to walk on the moon.
- Buzz – One of the first two people to land on the moon.
- Copernicus – Nicolaus Copernicus – placed the sun at the center of the universe.
- Galileo – Italian astronomer and engineer.
- Glenn – John Glenn, the third American in space.
- Gus – Virgil Ivan “Gus” Grissom, one of the first Americans in outer space.
- Halley – Edmond Halley, an astronomer who computed the return of a comet later named after him, Halley’s Comet.
- Hubble – NASA telescope named after astronomer Edwin Hubble.
- Kepler – A German astronomer, mathematician, and astrologer known for the laws of planetary motion.
- Laika – A Soviet dog that was one of the first animals in space.
- Mae – Mae Jemison, American astronaut and first black woman in space.
- Newton – Isaac Newton was an English mathematician, physicist, and astronomer who formulated laws of motion and gravity.
- Sagan – Carl Sagan is an American astronomer known for popularizing science using modern media.
- Sally – Sally Ride was the first American woman in space.
- Sputnik – The first artificial Earth satellite.
- Tycho – Tycho Brahe, Danish astronomer.
- Tyson – Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist known as a science communicator.
- Yuri – The first human to go into outer space.
Astrology Dog Names
If you want a name that reflects your pup’s astrological sign (or your own), here’s a reference list of names and dates.
- Aries — March 21 – April 19
- Taurus — April 20 – May 20
- Gemini — May 21 – June 20
- Cancer — June 21 – July 22
- Leo — July 23 – August 22
- Virgo — August 23 – September 22
- Libra — September 23 – October 22
- Scorpio — October 23 – November 21
- Sagittarius — November 22 – December 21
- Capricorn — December 22 – January 19
- Aquarius — Jan 20 – Feb 18
- Pisces — Feb 19 – March 20
More Space Names for Dogs
Here are many other excellent options for your dog that come from a variety of space-related terms.
Space-Themed Movies and Shows
Finally, after covering the scientific side of space dog names, we’re going to have a little fun with some science fiction movies and TV show names.
- Alf – Alien from the TV show Alf
- Anakin – Star Wars
- Astro – The Jetsons
- Babylon – Babylon 5 TV show
- Bender – Futurama
- Boba – Star Wars
- Chewie – Wookie from Star Wars
- Cylon – Battlestar Galactica
- Drax – Guardians of the Galaxy
- Duncan – Duncan Idaho, Dune
- Eve – Wall-E
- Frank – Men in Black
- Groot – Guardians of the Galaxy
- Hal – HAL 9000, 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Jedi – Star Wars
- Jetson – The Jetsons
- Kirk – Star Trek
- Leia – Princess from Star Wars
- Marvin – Marvin the Martian, Looney Tunes
- Miller – The Expanse
- Mork – Mork and Mindy
- Ripley – Alien
- Scotty – Star Trek
- Spock – Star Trek
- Stitch – Lilo & Stitch
- Vulcan – Star Trek
- Yoda – Star Wars
More Name Ideas
Hopefully, you found some excellent options for space dog names and are ready to start teaching your dog its name. If you want even more ideas, we think you’ll love these lists:
Britannica list of stars
NASA recognized constellations