The Best Golden Retriever Names – 55+ Names for Your Golden
by Jessi Larson
Well, most people start with color. Their rich coloring naturally leads to some pretty cool names.
However, their fluffy fur and sweet personality also provides inspiration, as do famous Goldens on TV and in the movies.
Let’s look at these 55+ paw-fect Golden Retriever names to get started.
Golden Retriever Names Based on Color
The Golden Retriever’s coat can be cream, light golden, golden or dark golden (almost like a red). This creates many ideas for dog names.
- Goldie – this was a given!
- Goldilocks – or for a female dog, you can go with this lovely name.
- Yellow – a simple, sweet name for a Golden.
- Honey – this name is so sweet and sums up their fur color so perfectly.
- Amber – a substance that is between gold and orange in color, kind of like a Golden!
- Ginger – a light shade of orange, Ginger is an adorable name.
- Cinnamon – beautiful and perfect for a Golden with reddish hues.
- Copper – this is great for a male Golden Retriever.
- Ember – an ember is a golden, hot coal with a rich coloring, like a Golden.
- Crimson – a strong red, Crimson is great for a more reddish colored dog.
- Blondie – or for the dogs with yellow coloring, Blondie is an adorable choice.
- Butter – as is butter.
- Buttercup – this sweet flower has a bright yellow coloring.
- Marigold – the Marigold blooms in golden, orange, yellow and white. Sound familiar?
- Caramel – the rich confection is beige/dark brown (and delicious!)
- Butterscotch – butterscotch is a little lighter in color but equally delicious.
- Toffee – this hard candy has a golden hue and makes a cute, unique dog name.
- Sunny – this name works on so many levels, perfectly describing their bubbly personality as well as their fur color.
- Sandy – a cute name especially for a dog with a sandy blond mane.
- Maple – we love this unique, rich name.
- Pumpkin – an adorable name and great for dogs with an orange-ish hue.
- Apricot – a cute, golden fruit.
- Peach – last but not least, a peach has a golden color and serves as an adorable name.
Golden Retriever Names Based on Personality
Sweet, smart and ready to please, Golden Retrievers dogs make excellent companions. It’s no wonder they’ve been in the top 10 for most popular dog breeds for decades!
Their sincere, loving personality provides some wonderful ideas for dog names.
- Happy – after all, Goldens are ALWAYS happy.
- Jubilee – the definition of jubilee is a celebration, which sounds like an awful lot like how Goldens live their lives.
- Joy – because Goldens are pure joy.
- Earnest/Ernest – they’re also straightforward and devoted.
- Scout – with a strong nose, Goldens are always on the lookout.
- Skip – Goldens have a certain bounce to their step, like a skip.
- Coach – the breed acts as a natural leader, which makes the name Coach a fun choice.
- Chewie – a Golden Retriever loves to chew, so you could have a little fun with the name!
- Fluffy – Goldens are known for their voluminous coats, making this name a perfect option.
Golden Retriever Names Based on TV & Movies
Golden Retrievers make great family pets, so it’s no surprise they have appeared in a number of TV shows and movies as a beloved member of the household.
- Comet – from Full House
- Bud – from Air Bud
- Dug – from Dug’s Special Mission
- Shadow – from Homeward Bound
- Brinkley – from You’ve Got Mail
- Fluke – from the 1995 movie of the same name
Other Golden Retriever Names
There’s just something about these names that make them perfect for a Golden Retriever. They’re classic and friendly – just like a Golden puppy!
Hopefully these names will provide a name that fits your Golden Retriever. If not, try out our name generator.
Crazy Facts about Golden Retrievers
Before we go, here’s a fun fact: Golden Retrievers were bred into existence by Lord Tweedmouth in the mid 19th century. He wanted to create a skilled retriever that would navigate Scottish climate and terrain, according to the AKC.
To do this, he crossed his “yellow retriever” with the Tweed Water Spaniel, a now extinct breed. A mix of Irish Setter, Bloodhound and other Tweed Water Spaniels led to the modern Golden Retriever.
Crazy cool, huh?
Good luck and congrats!
Once again, congratulations on adding a Golden Retriever to your family. These friendly pups make amazing pets.
Just be sure they receive adequate exercise and stimulation to help release their energy in a positive way. A trained Golden Retriever can do amazing things, like serve as a companion dog.
Enjoy your new pet and good luck finding a name!